29 March 2010

letters from athens / crete / evvia


















I have many places on my long list to visit and eat and drink (noodles in southeast Asia, ham in Spain, Australia, more Argentina, Chile, Africa, anywhere and anything to eat in Mexico, Saag Paneer in India, Turkey, more Malbec in Argentina, Alaska, sushi in Japan, Peking duck in China, camp food in the Westy all over the US making stops at funny diners and useless tourist destinations) and I couldn't think of anything in Greece that would suck me in. Then comes my assignment to Crete and Evvia, and all of a sudden I taste the ocean in everything I eat. And eat. And eat. And the food doesn't stop coming until you really say 'I honestly can't fit another thing in my stomach'. It's good, healthy food, full of fish and greens. Heart disease is virtually unheard of over there, yet smoking a pack of cigarettes a day seems like the norm. Give up your lungs, but you have a healthy heart full of vitamins and omega-3.
Crete is one of those places where I would throw the map out the window. Where are we going? Who cares! Look at those sheep with giant bells, and the pine trees, and narrow alleyways, and abandoned structures, and that guy with a speedo, black socks, loafers, and a cigarette dangling! He looks like a sexy Henry Kissinger.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Your images are amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Joeri said...

wow, great shots. I love crete. When are you going to italy? You will love it there.

Nani Steele said...

you've described it perfectly Sara–all that was missing was me. hahahahh. Love the green apron shot, and the dark/light view of the empty village. All reminds me why I love it there so.

Closet Chef said...

again, you leave me inspired!

Caroline Hancox said...

love these photos, looks like a good trip.

Kim Kissling said...

I've always wanted to go to Greece! This just makes the travel bug buzz that much louder!!! Can't wait to hear the stories first hand!

Max said...

Beautiful, creative, and artistic shots!

Yumi @ Natsukashii said...

Gorgeous images! Love your work! Thank you for inspiring and sharing :)

Peter Bagi said...

you're such a romantic! ha, great article.

ps...so am I

Grace said...

Gorgeous pictures and a nice write-up to go with it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful images. Just wondering when you travel if you always use a tripod?

Unknown said...

I went to Europe when I was 21 and spent 6 months backpacking (in the ..."europe on $10 a day" days). It was thrilling, fun, and the best learning and maturation process possible. Every moment that I was there was simply a prelude to Crete. When I was 13 I saw The Moonspinners and from that time on I wanted to go to Crete. So, I went to Athens and Corfu and Santorini, and Paros and Naxos and finally to Crete. It's rare to anticipate something for so long, and see and experience so much enroute, and then have it exceed expectations. Crete did all that and more. I met someone and was introduced to food by locals. I learned to eat squid in black ink, a part of the rabbit that I still can't believe I ate, drank light delicious wines, bread that was divine, picked olives and helped brine them, cheeses the likes of which I've never seen again and so much more. It was a time never to be forgotten nor repeateted. I couldn't agree with your "throw away the map" philosophy more.

Anna Kuperberg said...

I love it Sara.

Amelia PS said...

I just "discovered" your blog! so happy. Your images make me travel vicariously.