02 October 2009

big sur extravaganza














It's finally here: the big sur books are out! #1, which was actually released in June, is the ‘Big Sur Bakery Cookbook’, and #2, which is coming out in a few weeks, is ‘My Nepenthe’. Both with completely different stories, both about a mile away from each other on the ocean side of highway one, 26 miles south of Carmel. One of my favorite things to do is drive south with Tim, comfortable without talking, music playing, my bare feet on the dashboard, looking at the water. Then we go on a big, sweaty hike and end up drinking a big, cold beer / eating a basket of fries on the deck of Nepenthe. When the sun goes down, I look at the water again and I try to imagine what it would be like to be all by myself, in the dark, in the middle of the ocean. Totally terrifying or totally liberating, nothing in between.

16 comments:

jane said...

lovely photos, sara. it must be exciting to see them (finally) in print.

Hilda said...

How exciting! They both look beautiful. I know what you mean about hiking in Big Sur, one of my favorite things is the ruggedness of the coastline and the color of the water as you drive along.

Jennifer said...

These are gorgeous and tantalizing photographs. I can't wait to add them both to my collection. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

you should be seriously proud! the work looks amazing. Can't wait to see more from you.

Peter

susanica said...

inspiring! I want to go buy a copy right away. Thanks for the beautiful work.

Rachael said...

i love the bakery book, cant wait to see the nepenthe book!

Sarah Copeland said...

Sara, these books are stunning! Your photographs capture the spirit of Big Sur so perfectly that I'm tempted to tuck into these pages and never return.

jackie connelly said...

gorgeous! love your work sara.

Chez Us said...

Remington - will you be at Omnivore for the talk on Nepenthe? Let us know, we are in the hood & can grab drinks with you!!!!

Nani said...

Miss Sara

As usual-a beautiful spread you set before us! Oh, don't you just love those days where there are no worries and Nepenthe (and the bakery) and Big Sur
are just beckoning? Not enough of them up here in Oaktown-you know.

Thank you for being the best darn photo gal ever, for sharing the dream with me, helping me manifest it, and for just being yourself. I couldn't have asked for a better person to work on my book with me.

See you at Omnivore!
Love Nani

eva said...

It is just beautiful! :)

Julie Blair said...

Gorgeous, amazing work with such soul and passion! Love your work!

Jasmin said...

Congratulations, Sara! Love, love, love the photos and cookbook design.

Bob Towery said...

I have My Nepenthe and your work is wonderful. Really complements Romney's prose. I have a feeling Big Sur Bakery is in my future! Congrats, you deserve the recognition.

Broderick said...

These books look amazing. Congrats!!

Amelia PS said...

insanely stunning!!!